Feb 20, 2015

Things to Know, Part II

Part II of things you to know before you go to Taiwan

Resident Visa vs. Visitor Visa

If you have a U.S. passport and would like to vacation in Taiwan, you're good to go: visitors with a U.S. passport are visa-exempt for 90 days. But if you are in Taiwan to study, obviously you're going to be there for more than three months, which means you need to apply for a visa at your nearest Taiwan consulate (for a list of Taiwan embassies in the U.S. check out the website here. [Link also to the side under the "Study Abroad in Taiwan" section, listed as "Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the U.S."]). Although I was able to go pick it up three business days after I dropped off all the necessary documents, I recommend taking care of any visa business early just to be on the safe side. Especially if you don't have an embassy in your city/need to travel further to get there, in which case you might have to mail in all your documents, which means in addition to processing time, you also have to factor in shipping and handling time. So yes, take care of that early!

For Taiwan, there are two types of visas that you can apply for: a resident visa and a visitor visa. There is no specific student visa for international students who want to study in Taiwan. The type of visa you should get depends on how long you plan on staying in Taiwan. A visitor visa is for those who plan on staying in Taiwan for less than 180 days (about six months), while a resident visa is for those planning on staying in Taiwan for more than 180 days.

For visitor visas, you can apply for either single or multiple entry, the latter of which is recommended if you plan on traveling internationally during your stay in Taiwan. Last I checked both cost the same price. If, while in Taiwan, you decide to stay for a full year instead of a semester, or if you want to stay a little longer after your visitor's visa's date of expiration, you can change your visitor's visa to a resident visa or get  your visitor visa extended. In the case of the former, you will need to visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while in the case of the latter, you will need to visit the National Immigration Agency.

Whether you enter Taiwan on a resident visa or if you decide to change your visitor visa to a resident visa while in Taiwan, you will need to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) within 15 days of your arrival, in the case of the former, and within 15 days of the issuance of your resident visa, in the case of the latter. This is to be done at the National Immigration Agency. Since you can only get a single entry resident visa, while applying for your ARC, you can also apply for a re-entry permit will allow you to leave and return to Taiwan. So here is the general process for applying for a visa:
And your visa will look something like this:
 Or this:
1. Visa Type (簽證類別)
Visitor Visa (停留簽證):Short-term visa for stays in Taiwan that are less than 180 days.
Resident Visa (居留簽證):Long-term visa for stays in Taiwan greater than 180 days.
2. Valid Until / Enter Before (入境限期):the last day the visa holder is permitted to enter Taiwan.
3. Duration of stay (停留期限):The length of the visa holder’s stay in Taiwan; it is counted from the arrival date. Extensions should be made within 15 days of the duration deadline.
4. Entries (入境次數):Single or multiple.
5. Visa Number (簽證號碼):Visitors should fill it in E/D card at immigration.
6. Remarks (註記):A specific code represents the applicant’s identification or reason for visiting Taiwan (e.g. the code for exchange students is FS).

Visa Application Documents
This is just a general list of documents required to apply for a visa for studying purposes. Additional documents may be requested; for a complete list of required documents, see the links to the side under "Study Abroad in Taiwan."

  • Completed & signed visa application form
  • Two passport photos (taken within the last six months)
  • Passport (original & a photocopy)
  • Travel itinerary (with both a date of arrival and a date of departure)
  • Admission letter (from the university you intend to attend in Taiwan)
  • Proof of financial support
  • Health certificate
Also, before you apply for a visa, make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months after your intended date of travel. If not, it's time to renew it!

Also, remember to make photocopies (or at least scans) of the identification page of your passport, your visa, and your admission letter, and remember to bring lots of passport photos, these will be useful for obtaining/extending/changing your visa and for whatever you may need to apply for.

Money & Banking

One thing that I found useful while in South Korea was having my own bank account and debit card. I have Bank of America here in the States and I think it charges about 3% for every overseas purchase you make. I could be wrong--I did the math at one point but I forget. The point is, you don't want to incur charges every time you make a purchase or withdrawal so bring some money beforehand and withdraw infrequently. Or open up a bank account. From what I've been able to find, opening up a bank account in Taiwan doesn't seem too difficult--you'll need your passport, your ARC (or an ROC ID number), and, at some banks, an initial deposit. You should also apply for a bank card so you can withdraw from an ATM at any time.
New Taiwan Dollars come in NT$1000, NT$500, NT$200, and NT$100 bank notes
Having a bank account in South Korea was useful because I didn't have to worry about carrying around too much (or too little) money and I didn't have to keep withdrawing from my Bank of America account (thus incurring charges), although I will say that at a lot of places in South Korea, they will charge you around ₩2000 (about $2) less for paying in cash instead of card. Even if you plan on opening a bank account while in Taiwan however, make sure to let your bank know that you are going to be out of the country so it doesn't look suspicious or get refused when you try to use your home credit/debit card in Taiwan. More on banking in a later post once I open an account.
Coins come in amounts of NT$½, NT$1, NT$5, NT$10, NT$20, and NT$50
From what I've heard, it seems the best place to exchange your currency is at the airport in Taiwan, because they offer the best rates. So make sure to exchange your money before you leave the airport!

As for how much to bring, you have to consider things like payments you have to make, for your ARC, to housing, for transportation, food, school fees and the like. And then bring extra. It's also wise to keep track of your spendings (especially if you're like me and perpetually broke) and make sure you don't spend your money too quickly!

Phone & Wi-Fi

If you plan on using your phone abroad, make sure it's unlocked or else you won't be able to use it. Also, it might be wise to call your phone company to suspend your service, since you won't be using it to prevent unnecessary charges. I'm not so sure on that though--my sister did that when she studied abroad a few years back, but I didn't do that in Korea because I didn't get a new SIM card while in Korea and was able to get away with just having Wi-fi. However, Taiwan isn't as wi-fi friendly as South Korea. 

Anyways, from what I've heard (again, my knowledge on this is very limited), it would be best to purchase a prepaid SIM card at the airport in Taiwan. Stores will carry both SIM and micro-SIM cards so there's no need to worry if you have a micro-SIM. Again, more on this in a later post once I've figured it out.

Now I didn't know about this the first time I went to Taiwan so big shout-out to my awesome cousin for telling me about Taiwan's wi-fi service, iTaiwan (link now in side under "Other Useful Resources." Apparently over 5,000 wi-fi hotspots have been established in an initiative to provide free wi-fi to the public. 

And finally...

Go With All Your Heart

If you've noticed, the url for this blog is go-with-all-your-heart-taiwan.blogspot.com. Also this quote is featured in the subheading under the title. And this applies to study abroad anywhere, not just Taiwan. But what's with the obsession with this quote?

This is where I admit that I didn't always have as much fun in Seoul as I could've had. I'm shy, painfully so. And introverted. And anti-social. And I don't make friends or strike up conversation very easily. In short, I'm that quietly awkward person who keeps to herself in the (hypothetical) corner. I admit that I spent a lot of my free time in my room doing homework and studying or else on my computer. In my two classes where I was the only American, I didn't talk to my classmates unless I had to. I'm sure I came off as cold, if not rude, but I'm just not the type of person who can communicate easily. It made me realize (a little too late but still), that if I really wanted to enjoy my time there, I should have put myself out there a little (okay, a lot) more. Actually it was sort of a battle to convince the study away office at my school to even let me go away for two semesters and well, I let my first semester almost go to a waste. I did have fun, and I did make friends, but I didn't immerse myself into Korean culture as much as I would have liked, by no fault of anyone but myself. Hence this obsession with Confucius's quote.

You're going to be abroad for at least four months, that's a third of the year; you should want to be there and not be there to play around, to pick up girls/guys, or just because you can. It should be the best darn experience it can be. You're not a tourist on vacation. That implies that you're just there for the short-term to take in the scenery without really partaking in it. You should go out and practice your language skills, learn about the culture you're in, try all the local foods (yes, even the "weird" ones!), mingle with the locals and other international students (and not just others from your country), do touristy things, get out there and see the sights, partake in local activities and make it a memorable experience.

Of course, schoolwork and classes are important too, but make sure to take some time to go out and explore, even if it's just for a short walk around the neighborhood. You don't have to do everything in groups or pairs--sometimes it's just nice to go out by yourself, but don't always be by yourself. If making friends isn't your strong suit (it certainly isn't mine), that's okay too, but you should at least try to step outside your comfort zone. You don't want to spend what precious little time you have abroad cooped up in your room. Also, it's okay to be homesick and to have some comfort food that reminds you of home every now and then but don't be averse to trying new things, local things, because what's the point of being in a new country if you're not going to experience it? What's the point of being in a new culture if you're just going to carry around the old? Don't write something off without trying it and don't bash on something because it's not what you're used to. Be friendly and open, open to new experiences, to unfamiliar customs, to different cultures, to meeting new people, to making mistakes every now and then, and to having the time of your life.

And at the end of the day, don't forget about your family and friends back home. Keep in touch, whether it be by snail mail, phone calls, video chats, or text message, because they miss you too. And even if they can't be there with you, you can at least share your experiences with them and let them know that you're doing alright and make sure they are too.

So in short,

4 comments:



  1. Us visa renewal after 10 yearsGet Your visa renewal done in less than 3 hours from the time you make your embassy payment. payment after processing your application. we deal with american USA visa renewal services in India mainly in Hyderabad Delhi Mumbai Chennai kolkata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blog was amazing, I am impressed with your thoughts. I got the best information from this site, It’s very useful to all and us. Thanks for sharing this post.
    Study abroad guides for Europe students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that my blog was of use to you! Thank you for checking out my blog and taking the time to leave your thoughts William!

      Delete
  3. I am really enjoyed reading the post. but most the people travel, living, study, do business,work permits for USA, but Green Card Information very helpful for people.

    ReplyDelete