Feb 25, 2015

SIM Card Plights and Humid Nights

Good afternoon all! (Or night over on the East coast)

So I was reading over the post I wrote last night and wow was I rambling. Guess that's what I sound like when I'm tired. Haha sorry guys. I blame the jet lag ;)

Anyways as promised, the continuation of my previous post, starting with...airplane food!
Who needs peanuts when you can have rice crackers and wasabi peas?

Choice of chicken rice or beef with potatoes for dinner--I went with the chicken rice and got a cheesecake (covered by the bread) too although it got to sweet for me to finish

Choice of congee or eggs for breakfast--I went Asian all the way haha
We also got sandwiches for lunch (I got a Reuben), but I didn't get a picture of that. Case in point, EVA Air serves some pretty decent food--although for some reason I didn't have much of an appetite on the flight. Nerves maybe? Or perhaps just me being a bad flyer.

The next point: SIM Card Plights!

To be honest, it wasn't that much of a problem with the SIM card except for my own indecision. Haha. So once you grab your luggage and go out to the Arrival Lobby of Taoyuan International Airport, you'll want to veer left until you get to the end, then veer left again. On the right side there will be a counter with three different phone companies for you to choose from: Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan Mobile, and FarEasTone. I admit that I made my decision based on which one had the cheapest rates although the boards behind the counters only inform you of rates for a 30-day pass at most. Obviously as a student, I'm not going to get a 30-day plan.

In any case, since FarEasTone had the cheapest looking rates (and the most people--that has to account for something right?), I went with it. Unfortunately when I asked the saleslady if she spoke English, she told me she only knew a little English. So Chinese it was. Luckily for me though, I understood most of what she said and for what I didn't she used English. She was very helpful and even helped me install my micro-SIM card. For a 6 month plan, that included Wi-fi, I paid NT$3300, which is about US$110--much cheaper than in the United States.

On a side note, I was under the impression that if your (Android) phone is locked, once if you insert your new SIM that it would ask you for the pin to unlock it. Sadly, with the LG G2, that is not the case; if you have an LG G2, you need to dial 2945#*801# to get to the unlock menu.
The brochures she gave me; the blue one is in English
Now I must apologize because I confess, I still don't know very much about phone service here. For example which company would be best, which plan to get, etc... I just chose based on price and I asked the woman which would be the best plan for me to choose as a study away student. So I'm sorry, since this didn't really clarify much did it? Also I get a whole bunch of texts from FarEasTone about my plan...but it's all in Chinese so I'm still pretty much in the dark about rates and stuff. I do know however that I can recharge my card at any convenience store. Also, for FarEasTone, you can send a blank text to 1312 to find our your remaining balance (answering text will be in English).

Humid Nights!

Before I got here I checked the weather and knew that it would be warm, like Spring. I also knew from my trip to Taiwan last year that it was still pretty chilly around March so I figured while I didn't need my winter jacket, I should bring at least a warmer jacket. Let me tell you--I have been here three days and all three days have been pretty warm. If anything, I felt overdressed. And while it rained yesterday, that cleared up to sunshine by the afternoon and it got pretty warm. 

I will say however, that it does get kind of chilly at night, so bringing a warm jacket was not in vain! Despite the chilliness however, it was still humid. Humidity is not limited to the daytime it seems. Unfortunately. What's even worse is that you can feel the humidity indoors as well. Everything just feels damp, from the air, to your pillows and blankets, to your tabletop surface. It's not terribly bad, but I'm not a fan of humidity so I could do without this dampness. 

Surprisingly, the jet lag isn't too bad although I am getting sleepy (and it's only 4 in the afternoon here), but that might have to with the fact that I've been out and about soaking up plenty of sunlight to wake up that internal clock (is that even how it works?). Also I've been waking up at around 3 in the morning and have trouble falling back asleep. But it's not so bad (when I get back to the States though, I'm going to become nocturnal, just you watch)

Anyways that's all for now because I am getting sleepy~~ Zzzz

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind comments--I'm glad my blog was helpful to you! I'm actually not sure when my next update will be, if at all, but if you are still interested in subscribing to my blog, you can add my blog to your Reading List on Blogger. Hope this helps, and thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for your comment, I'm glad you found the information helpful! I have a "Follow" button on the sidebar that will allow you to subscribe to my blog. Just to let you know, I'm not sure when the next update will be, but thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete