Jun 1, 2015

My Neighbor Taichung

So a while back, my cousin sent me this article:
In case you didn't click on the link, the article is basically about a three-meter Totoro statue that popped up in Taichung not too long ago. The statue is not, as you can tell from the headline, an official Studio Ghibli-made statue, but fan-made by Taiwanese artist Lin, who completed the statue in just two months for about NT$6000 (about US$182). Since there is some potential copyright issues with the making of this Totoro statue, there is some curiosity about whether it will be taken down. However, since Lin is not making any money off of the statue, Studio Ghibli will hopefully allow it.

While I shared the article with my friend and fellow Miyazaki fan, seeing as I plan on going to Taichung this summer, I could only hope that the statue would still be up by then. A week or two ago, however, my friend told me that she and another friend planned on taking the 臺灣高鐡 (Taiwan High Speed Rail or HSR) down to Taichung to see the statue and spend the day there to explore and she graciously invited me along. And so on Saturday, the four of us (my friend, two of her friends, and I) left Taipei at around 10:18 in the morning and arrived back at around 10:36 at night.
Front and back of train tickets
The tickets were a little expensive at NT$915 two-way, but tickets for the HSR tend to be a little pricier and seeing as how fast it got us there, I would say that it was well worth the price. The train itself was pretty comfortable as well and plenty spacious with more than enough leg room and nice air conditioning (it wasn't too cold either!).

The HSR took us to 新烏日車站--the Xinwuri Station in 烏日區--the Wuri district--of Taichung City. The station itself was pretty amazing--it had a lot of sights to see and a few stores as well. From there we purchased train tickets to the Central District of Taichung--台中車站--which only cost a mere NT$15.
My friend posing with one of the many trains around the station
And me
There was a honey museum in there too!
 And then we came across this little gem of a store: 紙箱王 (Carton King)
Everything in there was designed to look like paper and I think actually was  made of paper, or else wood, which was pretty amazing--they had bags and hats (which were washable!), phone stands, and best of all (in my opinion), lights and music boxes!

These lamps were so pretty--I wanted to get some for my sister, but I didn't have much money on me and I didn't want to spend it all before we had even left the station!
If anyone knows how I can rotate this video, that would be lovely
On our way back to Taipei, we decided to visit this store again to make some purchases--I didn't but I was completely enamored with the music boxes they had. It's a little hard to make out the melody playing what with the background noise and music playing in the store, but it was really soothing and hopefully I get to come back and buy one--I really liked the 兔子跳舞 music box (which was sold out). The store personnel was super nice--she saw us looking at them and gave us a demonstration of the different ones showed us how they worked.
More train station attractions
A reading bar with a bench and a bookshelf shaped like a lightbulb--how awesome is that??
When we finally arrived in Taichung, it was hot--I think the temperature was in the low 90s--humid, and sunny. The weather was a little overbearing and we couldn't help but sigh in relief every time we passed a place with air conditioning. The area actually reminded me a little of Flushing, back home in Queens, just because of the layout of the buildings and bus stops, the amount of people, and just the whole atmosphere in general. 

After a quick lunch, we hopped on the bus (which cost NT$20, exact change only--for some reason they didn't accept EasyCards) and were on our way to see Totoro!

He was actually in this sort of not very busy, seemingly random street and would have been easy to miss if you were facing the wrong way or not looking out for him. According to the article, there are huge lines of people waiting to take a picture with Totoro, especially on weekends, but actually when we went there were only a few groups of people there and we didn't have to wait long to take our snapshots.
There was even a red umbrella there for visitors to use in their picture!
The artist even included the soot spirits!
Can't forget these little guys!
No-Face from Spirited Away was there too! Although people were mostly there to see Totoro of course.
Poor No-Face from didn't even get a mention in the news article

Across the street from the statues--this fella is from Kiki's Delivery Service I believe
Afterwards, we went to the famous 宮原 (Miyahara) for ice cream and waffle--they actually had two stores nearby--one was the original Miyahara which, because of that, had long lines of people waiting. We decided to go to the other one just so that we didn't have to wait so long and also, seating!
Their milk tea shop right next to the original store--it had an antique feel to it
The back store where you can buy pineapple cakes, which they also seem to be famous for
The other store bigger and more spacious with three floors and was just as elegant.
You can see them making waffles here
Chocolate- and cream-covered fruit
Mille crepe cake! It looked so good
Pricey bear-shaped desserts on the top shelf
We got a large platter with a total of eleven different ice cream scoops--pineapple, coffee, grape, mango, kiwi, two kinds of chocolate, black tea, yogurt, green tea, and some other flavor that had grapes in it. The grape ice cream was pretty good, but I think my favorite scoop had to be the kiwi one--I've always preferred fruitier flavors to dessert flavors and the kiwi was quite light and refreshing!
 As you can tell, there was safari theme to the platter, with a giraffe, wildcat, rhino, and meerkat graham crackers all artfully arranged on the ice cream scoops and chocolate logs and trees
Afterwards, we headed on over to 台中公園--Taichung Park--to enjoy the scenery and relax a little. There were an awful lot of mosquitoes though and my poor friend who seems to be even more of a mosquito magnet than me got bitten quite a few times.

Sorry about the quality of this picture--I didn't realize it wasn't clear when I took it, darn camera

There were horse statues all over the park--maybe it's because I'm short, but it was not easy getting onto the back of the horse, although one of my other friends didn't seem to have any trouble...
Happy Year of the Goat! This might have been for the Lantern Festival which had been held in Taichung this year
Front view
The sun was quickly setting as we were making our way out of the park

越南華僑! Saw this little restaurant across the street from the park. Haha, kudos if you can guess why I was so amused by it (Hint: It's related to the "Identity Talk" post from a while back...)
After we left the park, we decided to head to the night market for dinner before making our way back to the train station to return to Taipei. Unfortunately I did not get any pictures of the street market, but it was a pretty large, lively, and bustling place with many food stands, clothes stores, and accessory shops.

Although some parts of Taichung seemed just as lively and crowded as Taipei (probably less so), there was definitely a different vibe and a different atmosphere. It's hard to place, but I guess it was less of a metropolitan feel in Taichung even though both are busy cities. I would definitely recommend going down to Taichung for a visit just to experience it, or you know, to see Totoro.


No comments:

Post a Comment